Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is waste that cannot be placed in the trash such as paint, pesticide, fertilizer, pool chemicals, motor oil and other petroleum products, pharmaceuticals, tires, and electronic waste (e-waste). E-waste includes televisions, cell phones, computers, electronics equipment, fluorescent light bulbs and tubes, and batteries.

General information and answers to questions about household hazardous waste and proper disposal can be found by visiting the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works web site or calling 888-CLEAN LA.

Curbside Collection

Waste Management provides curbside pickup of HHW and e-waste on the fourth Wednesday of every month. Reservations are required. To schedule a curbside pickup, please contact Waste Management.

Household Hazardous Waste Roundups

Household Hazardous Waste Roundups are one-day events hosted by the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County (LACSD) and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works on Saturdays at various locations around Los Angeles County.  A schedule of upcoming roundup events is available on the LACSD website.

S.A.F.E. Collection Centers

S.A.F.E. (Solvents / Automotive / Flammables / Electronics) Collection Centers are permanent facilities that are open every weekend to all Los Angeles County residents. The center nearest to Westlake Village is the Nicole Bernson (Balboa) S.A.F.E. Center in Northridge (see map).  Additional information about the S.A.F.E. Collection Center and a list of other centers is available on the City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works web site.

How to Dispose of Different HHW Types

Electronic Waste

Includes televisions, computers, cell phones, fluorescent light bulbs and tubes, batteries, and all other electronic items.  Where to dispose:

General Household Hazardous Waste

Includes paint, pesticide, fertilizer, pool chemicals, oil, and petroleum products. Where to dispose:

Pharmaceuticals and Sharps

Includes medications, vitamins, needles, syringes, and lancets. Where to dispose:


Includes used rubber tires from cars, trucks, trailers, and off-road vehicles. Where to dispose: