North Business Park Specific Plan


North Business Park Specific Plan (as amended March 2021)

Final Program Environmental Impact Report

History and Background

Specific Plan History and Background

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the maximum residential density allowed in the plan?

The NBPSP uses the traditional measure of dwelling units per acre to control density, but also places a maximum cap on the total number of allowed units in each mixed use district, as shown in the table below. Each individual property may develop to the maximum number of units allowed under the stated density, until the maximum number of units for the district is reached. Any bonus units constructed under the provisions of the State Density Bonus Law are not included in the maximum density or unit caps.

Zoning DistrictMaximum DensityMaximum Unit Cap
Mixed Use Corsa20 dwelling units per acre145 dwelling units
Mixed Use Lindero32 dwelling units per acre462 dwelling units


> The Environmental Impact Report analyzed 728 dwelling units as the evaluated maximum buildout, assuming the maximum 607 units in the two mixed use districts combined, along with a 20 percent hypothetical density bonus.

> The stated maximum density of 35 units per acre on page 26 of the NBPSP document is a typographical error. The correct maximum density for the Mixed Use Lindero district is 32 units per acre as noted above.

Does Westlake Village have an inclusionary housing ordinance or affordable housing requirement?

No. Developers may opt to build affordable units under the provisions of the State Density Bonus Law, but no affordable units or affordable housing in-lieu fee are required.

What are the allowed housing costs and corresponding household incomes for a unit to qualify as an affordable unit?

To qualify as an affordable unit, the unit must be deed restricted to lower or moderate income households, with incomes determined by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). The household income limits for 2021 are available in this HCD document. Rent and sale prices that correspond to each income category are calculated pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Sections 50052.5 (for owner-occupied units) and 50053 (for rental units).

What is the approval process for residential or mixed use projects in the plan area?

Generally, projects in the plan area are subject to City Council approval through the Planned Development Permit process. Projects are also subject to professional design review by the City's architecture consultant.

Projects in the Mixed Use Lindero district with at least 20 percent of the units reserved for lower income households are considered ministerial "by-right" projects and do not require a Planned Development Permit.

All projects must comply with all objective design and development standards of the NBPSP and the Zoning Ordinance, not including concessions or waivers requested pursuant to the State Density Bonus Law.

What is the environmental review process for residential or mixed use projects in the plan area?

The Environmental Impact Report (EIR) prepared for the NBPSP is intended to serve as the primary environmental document for future development in the plan area. The City will evaluate any proposed project to determine if it is consistent with the scope of development and impacts analyzed in the EIR. If a proposed project is outside the scope of development anticipated and analyzed in the EIR, additional environmental review will be required.

What development fees apply to development in the plan area?

Traffic Impact Fee

The City of Westlake Village imposes a traffic impact fee of $2,878 per net new PM peak hour trip. Based on trip rates established by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), the fees for residential projects would be as follows:

  • $1,612 per unit for “low-rise” multifamily with 2 stories (at 0.56 PM peak hour trips per unit)
  • $1,266 per unit for “mid-rise” multifamily with 3 or more stories (at 0.44 PM peak hour trips per unit)

These fees assume a residential-only development with no mixed-use trip reductions, and also assume a vacant property with no credit given for existing uses. In reality, fees will be lower since the fee is based on net new trips and credit would be given for existing uses.

Water and Sewer Fees

For water and sewer fee information, please contact:

Las Virgenes Municipal Water District

4232 Las Virgenes Road

Calabasas, CA 91302


School Fees

For school fee information, please contact:

Las Virgenes Unified School District

4111 Las Virgenes Road

Calabasas, CA 91302


Building Permit and Plan Check Fees

For building permit and plan check fee information, please contact:

County of Los Angeles Building and Safety

26600 Agoura Road Suite 110

Calabasas, CA 91302