Development and Use Permits

Fee Schedule

Fees and application types with associated submittal requirements.

Fee Schedule

Development and use permit Application

The Development and Use Permit Application covers all permits that require City Council approval.  Permits pertaining to land development or entitlement, new or significant construction, conditional or special uses, and land divisions all use the development application. Additionally, the development application is used to establish a new sign program, or to alter or deviate from an existing sign program as a 'Sign Modification Permit.'

Development and Use Permit Application

construction and demolition

Any demolition of existing structures or portions there of, and new development that may generate solid waste is required to fill out Construction and Demolition Form 1 prior to commencing the project, and Form 2 within 45 days of project completion.
Construction and Demolition Form 1
Construction and Demolition Form 2

Sign Permits

All new signs conforming to the City's adopted Sign Ordinance require the issuance of a Sign Permit.
Sign Permit

For the creation of a new sign program for a commercial center, requests for alterations to existing sign programs, or requests for signs that deviate from an existing sign program or the City's Sign Ordinance require the issuance of a Sign Modification Permit by the City Council.

Sign Modification Permit Application

For signs which do not conform to Section 9.18 - Signs or the City's Municipal Code, or for the establishment or modification to a sign program, use the Development Application above and check "Sign Modification Permit."

Fence Permit Application 

Required for all new fences and walls over 42 inches in height.
Fence Permit

Temporary Use Permit Application

A Temporary Use is required for any short term use or event, such as street fairs, and requires a Hold Harmless form as part of its submittal process.  Temporary Use Permits are for events occurring on private property.

Temporary Use Permit

Special event permits

A Special Event Permit is required for events occurring on publicly owned property, such as City streets, sidewalks, City parks, or the Westlake Village Civic Center.  In addition to events occurring at City parks or the Civic Center, the Special Event Permit also applies to organized runs and walks, organized bike rides or bike races, and parades, which previously required a run/bike/parade permit.  Please be advised that some Special Events will also require a Temporary Use Permit if the event has an additional component on private property within the City. 

Special Event Permits

Oak Tree Permit

An Oak Tree Permit is required for any modification to, or proposed removal of a protected oak tree, beyond routine maintenance for the health of the tree. Oak Tree Permits are heard by the City Council in a public hearing and require an application, an Oak Tree Permit Questionnaire, and an Oak Tree Report from a certified arborist or landscape architect.

Oak Tree Application
Oak Tree Permit Questionnaire

Landlord-Tenant Zoning Acknowledgement Form

An optional form, with no fee and generally over the counter approval, which allows tenants to determine whether their business is allowed in a particular location and protects landlords from penalty in the event of tenant uses which are not permitted by the City.

Landlord-Tenant Zoning Acknowledgement

For more information regarding this form please visit the "How to start a business in Westlake Village" page, or contact the Planing Department

Lot Line Adjustment (Certificate of compliance)

Adjusting lot lines between properties or adding new lot lines requires a Lot Line Adjustment to be issued by the City to receive a Certificate of Compliance. For a Lot Line Adjustment, the City requires that each property owner involved has their authorization signature on the second page of the Development and Use Permit Application notarized, as well as having their wet signature on the Certificate of Compliance owner form notarized on a separate page. For additional questions regarding a Lot Line Adjustment, please contact the Planning Department.

Certificate of Compliance owner form